Ethan Kross steps into Carey’s office this week. Ethan is an author, scientist, and teacher, and one of the world’s leading experts on controlling the conscious mind. He’s currently a professor at the University of Michigan and the author of the book, “Chatter: The Voice in Our Head and How to Harness It.” Ethan shares his inspiration for ‘studying the voice in our head’, the science behind the co-rumination trap, and tools for pandemic-induced ‘chatter’.
- 02:23 – Unpacking the Voice in Your Head
- 09:33 – What is Social Media Doing to Us?
- 12:24 – Creating an Emotional Map
- 14:45 – The Co-Rumination Trap
- 19:39 – A Mental Board of Advisors
- 25:06 – Avoiding a Gripe Session
- 28:45 – Covid: Chatter Event of the Century
- 31:41 – Use Your Name in Third Person
- 38:00 – Rituals to Handle Stress
- 40:22 – The Placebo Effect
- 46:20 – Granting a Sense of Control
- 50:56 – Chatter and Failure
- 56:53 – Tools Ethan Uses
- 01:01:17 – Rapid Fire Questions
Thanks for checking out Welcome To My Office with Carey Lohrenz. Be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast app and leave a rating or review!”